על הקורס - כללי
The lectures will be given in English, per the preference of students enrolled.
Homework will include both exercises and reading assignments.
The exam will be take-home, likely in the following format: each student will pick a personal task from a list, will submit a report on it after several weeks and present the results before the class in a meeting to be scheduled.
The course material will be made up of two parts:
1) A short introduction to Astrophysical Fluid Dynamics
- Main: Principles of Astrophysical Fluid Dynamis / Clarke and Carswell, Cambridge University Press
- Astrophysical Flows / Pringle and King, Cambridge University Press
- Elasticity and Fluid Dynamics: Volume III of Modern Classical Physics / Thorne and Blandford, Princeton University Press
2) An introduction to Modern Cosmology:
- An Introduction to Modern Cosmology / Andrew Liddle, 3rd ed., Wiley
- Main: Cosmology Lecture Notes / Daniel Baumann, Link: here
- Modern Cosmology / Scott Dodelson and Fabian Schmidt, 2nd Ed., Elsevier Academic Press
- Cosmology / Steven Weinberg, Oxford University Press
Week Topic Week PAFD Ch. 1-4 Basic Principles of Fluid Dynamics, Formulation of the Fluid Equations, Gravitation, Equation of State and the Energy Equation, Radiative Cooling Processes 1 PAFD Ch. 5-6 Hydrostatic Equilibrium: Atmospheres and Stars, Sound Waves, Sound Waves in Stratified Atmospheres 2 PAFD Ch. 7-9 Supersonic Flows and Shock Waves, Supernovae Explosions 3 PAFD Ch. 9-10 Bernoulli's Equation, Fluid Instabilities: Convective, Rayleigh-Taylor, Jeans and Thermal 4 Liddle, Baumann Ch. 1 The Standard Model of Cosmology: Brief Introduction
The Homogenous Universe: Geometry and Dynamics
5 Baumann Ch. 2 The Homogenous Universe: Dynamics - cont., Cosmological Inflation 6 Baumann Ch. 3 The Physics of Inflation, Thermal History: Local Thermal Equilibrium, Decoupling and Freeze-Out, Phase Transitions in the History of the Universe 7 Baumann Ch. 3 Thermal History: Equilibrium and Beyond Equilibrium 8 Baumann Ch. 4 Cosmological Perturbation Theory: Metric Perturbation, Matter Perturbations, Equations of Motion 9 Baumann Ch. 4 Cosmological Perturbation Theory: Initial Conditions 10 Baumann Ch. 5 Structure Formation: Gravitational Instability, Acoustic Oscillations 11 Baumann Ch. 5 CMB: Primary and Secondary Anisotropies 12 Baumann Ch. 6 Quantum Initial Conditions: Inflaton Fluctuations - Classical and , Quantum, Curvature Perturbations, Gravitational Waves, CMB Polarization 13
Hours and Location
Hours and LocationLectures will be given in person on Wednesdays from 14:00-17:00 in Building 51 ("Nano"), room 217.
Hours and Location
Homework AssignmentsProblem Set 1: Geometry and Dynamics
Problem Set 2: Inflation and Thermal History
Problem Set 3: Structure Formation
Problem Set 4: Initial Conditions
Week 12 Class Notes:
Week 13 Class Notes:
Week 13 Recording: