קורס: היקום הדינמי (2022)
הקליקו על כותרת יחידת ההוראה כדי להציג או להסתיר אותה.
The lectures will be given in English, per the preference of students enrolled.
Homework will include both exercises and reading assignments.
The exam will be take-home, likely in the following format: each student will pick a personal task from a list, will submit a report on it after several weeks and present the results before the class in a meeting to be scheduled.
The course material will be made up of two parts:
1) A short introduction to Astrophysical Fluid Dynamics
- Main: Principles of Astrophysical Fluid Dynamis / Clarke and Carswell, Cambridge University Press
- Astrophysical Flows / Pringle and King, Cambridge University Press
- Elasticity and Fluid Dynamics: Volume III of Modern Classical Physics / Thorne and Blandford, Princeton University Press
2) An introduction to Modern Cosmology:
- An Introduction to Modern Cosmology / Andrew Liddle, 3rd ed., Wiley
- Main: Cosmology Lecture Notes / Daniel Baumann, Link: here
- Modern Cosmology / Scott Dodelson and Fabian Schmidt, 2nd Ed., Elsevier Academic Press
- Cosmology / Steven Weinberg, Oxford University Press
Week Topic Week PAFD Ch. 1-4 Basic Principles of Fluid Dynamics, Formulation of the Fluid Equations, Gravitation, Equation of State and the Energy Equation, Radiative Cooling Processes 1 PAFD Ch. 5-6 Hydrostatic Equilibrium: Atmospheres and Stars, Sound Waves, Sound Waves in Stratified Atmospheres 2 PAFD Ch. 7-9 Supersonic Flows and Shock Waves, Supernovae Explosions 3 PAFD Ch. 9-10 Bernoulli's Equation, Fluid Instabilities: Convective, Rayleigh-Taylor, Jeans and Thermal 4 Liddle, Baumann Ch. 1 The Standard Model of Cosmology: Brief Introduction
The Homogenous Universe: Geometry and Dynamics
5 Baumann Ch. 2 The Homogenous Universe: Dynamics - cont., Cosmological Inflation 6 Baumann Ch. 3 The Physics of Inflation, Thermal History: Local Thermal Equilibrium, Decoupling and Freeze-Out, Phase Transitions in the History of the Universe 7 Baumann Ch. 3 Thermal History: Equilibrium and Beyond Equilibrium 8 Baumann Ch. 4 Cosmological Perturbation Theory: Metric Perturbation, Matter Perturbations, Equations of Motion 9 Baumann Ch. 4 Cosmological Perturbation Theory: Initial Conditions 10 Baumann Ch. 5 Structure Formation: Gravitational Instability, Acoustic Oscillations 11 Baumann Ch. 5 CMB: Primary and Secondary Anisotropies 12 Baumann Ch. 6 Quantum Initial Conditions: Inflaton Fluctuations - Classical and , Quantum, Curvature Perturbations, Gravitational Waves, CMB Polarization 13
Hours and LocationLectures will be given in person on Wednesdays from 14:00-17:00 in Building 51 ("Nano"), room 217.
Homework AssignmentsProblem Set 1: Geometry and Dynamics
Problem Set 2: Inflation and Thermal History
Problem Set 3: Structure Formation
Problem Set 4: Initial Conditions
Week 12 Class Notes:
Week 13 Class Notes:
Week 13 Recording: