Announcements

Last week: important notes

Last week: important notes

by יבגני בר לב -
Number of replies: 1

Dear all,

We will have our last class on thermalization in quantum systems on Tuesday. During the lecture and possibly part of the workshop, we will have a 1-2 hour not mandatory quiz on the course material.

The quiz aims to assess the quality of instruction/study. As an incentive for you to participate, people who get a grade above 60 will get up to 4 bonus points to their course grade.

On Thursday, we will have our presentations. Please note that they will be in the seminar room (54/207).

I will be inviting the faculty of the department to attend the presentations, but only the panelists (Dganit Meidan / Eran Maniv) will be allowed to ask questions, so don't worry :)

I kindly ask you to appear on time and avoid using electronic devices during the presentations since it projects a lack of interest, if not disrespect, to your peers.

After the last presentation, we will have a short social event with the course staff, the panelists, and the faculty who will decide to participate.

The event is an excellent opportunity for you to ask about science, projects, and prospects in the academy or industry in an informal setting.

Due to my grant restriction, I can only provide snacks and drinks, so if you want something more significant like pizza or pastries, please organize by yourselves.

Below is the timetable for Thursday + grading instruction for you and the panelists.

Best wishes,
Yevgeny

Time table

Please arrive on time, and make sure to come back on time from the breaks.
All presentation will be exactly 20 min long  + 5 min for questions. The panelists will be allowed to ask first.
Please note that the absence of questions from the crowd often indicates a lack of interest or clarity in the presentation.

I remind you that attendance to all the presentations is mandatory.
I will only provide alternative evaluation (oral exam on the course material) to students excused due to university recognized situations, and who contacted me prior to the presentations.

• 11:10-11:35 Black-Scholes equation 
  • 11:35-12:00 Kardar-Parisi-Zhang equation 
  • 12:00-12:10 Coffee break 
  • 12:10-12:35 Landau-Ginzburg theory 
  • 12:35-13:00 Disordered systems and spin glasses 
  • 13:00-13:10 Coffee break 
  • 13:10-13:35 Self-avoiding random walks 
  • 13:35-14:00 Percolation transition 
  • 14:00-14:25 Linear response theory 
  • 14:25-15:00 Discussions and refreshments 

Grading instruction to the panelists

• Grasp/Depth [50% of total] (*) 
  • Quality/Clarity [50% of total] (*)
  •  Originality [0-3 points bonus] (**)
(*) Possible grades are: 60, 70, 80, 90, 100
(**) Possible grades are: 0, 1, 2, 3 (note that this is a bonus). Originality of the presentation or the delivery, not the topic. The topic was given to the students. For example: original presentation of concepts, original analogies which help for understanding, visual props and demonstrations.

Grading instruction to the students

During the presentation, write notes, which will help you give each team a grade. Don't forget to write the team number/topic.
  • A grade of 100 is reserved for teams whose presentation was almost perfect. You learned at least 2 things and you could follow most of it. A grade of 90 is reserved for teams whose presentation was very good. You learned at least 1 thing and you could follow a large part of it. 
  • A grade of 80 is reserved for teams whose presentation was good. You learned at least 1 thing, but it was a bit hard for you to follow. 
  •  A grade of 70 is reserved for teams whose presentation was not great. You didn't understand the main point of the presentation and/or it was hard to follow. 
  •  A grade of 60 is reserved for teams whose presentation was below your expectations. You didn't understand the main point of the presentation, you couldn't follow it at all, and/or the presentation was messy or badly organized.
In reply to יבגני בר לב

Re: Last week: important notes

by תומר דולברג -
Regarding the not-mandatory quiz - part of it will take place during the lecture and the second part will take place during the second hour of the workshop.
Therefore we will have a 50-minute workshop (starting on 17:10, please be there on time), followed by a 10-minute break and then the 50-minute quiz.
Those of you who are not planning to attend the workshop (some of the groups have already reached the mandatory number of workshop submissions, though you are of course welcome anyway), can still take the quiz - just make sure you arrive before 18:10 as we will start on time.

Best,
Tomer